Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In Memoriam: MOVEMBER




Movember. The one time that men (or women, I'm all for equality) can wear that greasy rug on their upper lip and get away with it. Mustaches. You were there when we needed to save that little extra morsel of lunch for later. You were the unwritten code of knowing who the boss is. You were the difference between an Italian man and just a regular guy who uses hand gestures a lot. But most importantly, you were there to protect us from the harshness of the winter in West Coast Canada.

Brr...



Movember was invented when Karl Marx decided to let his flavour-saver grow out for the entire month of November. True to the Communist belief, this tradition passed down to all of the future leaders of Russia. This became popularized when Josef Stalin decided to grow the most kick-ass mustache in existence of all humankind.

Their ideologies may be a bit off, but no one can deny the mustache.

This practice moved to the Western Hemisphere, which now gives everyone an excuse to retire their razors for 30 days. It has fallen from grace and is now a chance for high school students to grow the always uninviting “greasy teen stache” (eg. me).

And he's single, ladies.

But I don't want to distract from the true meaning of Movember (okay, maybe a little..). Movember is an excellent opportunity to raise awareness and funds for prostate cancer, while showing off the prime example of manliness in the process. I encourage everyone to support it when it comes around again, almost as much as I haven't encouraged people to share and follow this blog (please do, I'm on my knees...).

Fare thee well Movember. If only I had known thee better.

Caleb the now-clean-shaven-but-honestly-it-didn't-make-much-of-a-difference.


Please share this blog with your friends, comment, and follow.  It may seem like an insignificant act, but it shows that people care about my writing, which will motivate me to do it. Follow me at twitter.com/handlesswriter for updates about the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment